The Penguin and Pug

American newlywed flies off to London with husband for 5-year expat adventure. Sets up charming English home, gets lovely puppy, explores rainy England and parts of Europe, does requisite volunteer work, and generally goofs off for a year – then starts having babies in a foreign land…

Name:
Location: NEW!, Florida, United States

04 August 2006

One of Those Days

I’m having one of those days.

One of those days that you want to take the day off from being a Mum. Or run right out and get an office job. Or pull each hair of yours out, slowly, one at a time. Or just put your baby down for bed at 4pm (if only that meant he’d sleep through until 7am).

I have had several of these days in the last month. First, Tadpole cut all four center upper teeth at the same time. Then he moved straight into a clingy ‘mommy’ stage. Now he’s going through a bit of a stranger anxiety phase. One thing right on top of the other. (And he has also just now discovered my delete key, which means I typed that last sentence 4 times).

What never ceases to amaze me is how you can be so in love with this tiny being that also makes you want to scream – wild extremes of emotions at the exact same time.

This is a part of parenthood for which I was not prepared: that I would have these seemingly schizophrenic moments where I would be on the verge of tears, wanting to collapse from exhaustion on the park grass while my precious offspring threw yet another fit, but that I would instead find myself singing “Old MacDonald” like it was the most exciting song ever written – and almost believing it. And suddenly my bundle of joy would be laughing hysterically at my oinking, my heart would swoon because of his pure exuberance for this simple song, and then in an instant the sharp twist of the roller coaster would surprise me again and he would be back to his random fussing.

And I thought dating was the ultimate emotional roller coaster.

But goodness is he cute, and oh how I love him with my entire heart. Motherhood is by far the hardest and sweetest thing I have ever done, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I guess it’s that parent-child tie – and definitely oodles of grace from God – that allow the joy to shine through even in the midst of unbelievably tough days.

Days just like today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home